This week at Common Ground we were blessed to welcome back Kirk Baker, the Director of Missions for the Spring River Baptist Association. The SRBA is a group of over 40 local churches that supports the ministry of the Baptist Student Union. If you haven’t found a church home yet, look them up. God is doing some amazing things through them. Anyhow, after a rousing game of “2 truths and a lie” Kirk spoke to us from 1 Corinthians 10 on Tuesday night. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Don’t take advantage of God’s grace. (v.1-5) The Israelites tried this after the Exodus and it didn’t work out so hot. (Romans 6:15 is a good verse here as well.)
- Learn from the mistakes of others. (v.6-12) It’s amazing how many people struggle with this. Israel served as an example to Christians in Corinth, the Corinthians (who were supposed to know better) serve as as an example to us… Let’s get it right this time!
- There is always a way through temptation. (v.13-14) Jesus is the best example here. When He faced temptation, he turned to scripture. If you taken time to really get to know it, it will help you too. (Psalm 119:11, Hebrews 4:12)
- There is ONE body of believers. (v.15-22) Unity matters. It is one of the most prominent themes in the New Testament. Sometimes we’d do best to remember that.
- Seek the well-being of others. (v.23-33) Following Jesus really is an exercise in putting others ahead of yourself. That can be hard to remember and often requires the sacrifice of personal liberty and privilege, but that IS the job. Jesus gave up a pretty cushy spot in heaven to live down here in the dirt with us, for us, when he didn’t have to. How are we doing?